31 May 2007

Making the bed



There was a time when I really didn't like anything vaguely resembling housework. Not only didn't I like it, I didn't do it, I had "help". But that was in those days when I rushed through life looking, but not seeing, and wondering why I never felt like I had my own space. Now I have a much more relaxed life and I think about what I do. Now I see what we all think of as "housework" as something other than a chore that has to be done. Now I look on housework as that time I take to make my space comfortable and clean; it's like feathering my nest.
The ritual of bed making is something that sets my day up for all that follows. Sleep is very important to me. I LOVE sleeping and if I don't have enough sleep, I can't function properly. So it makes sense to me to make my bed as comfortable as it can be. I think of my bed as a nest - a great big comfy nest that has to be attended to every day.
So the pillows are fluffed up, the top sheet and quilts stripped off and each layer is replaced with precision and care. The end result is a comfortable bed that smells clean and feels warm in winter and cool in summer. When I change the sheets, the bedroom smells of sunshine. It's winter here now so I have flannel sheets on the bed and an extra patchwork quilt my sister made. It's nothing fancy, and I don't want it to be perfect, I just want it to feel nurturing and warm when we fall into it at night, and I want it to sustain us until we wake again the next day.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I've just found your blog Rhonda, and I love it. :) I too love sleep and love my bed to be my special place, I like the analogy of a nest. I'm sure to be a regular visitor here.

    cheers Lenny(from ALS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lenny! Here I was thinking I was secretly blogging and yet another ALSer has found me. LOL! I guess I should put up a link to the website.

    It's good to have you here, and it's good to know you love sleeping too. I hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, I found your blog through SS a few days ago and started reading, enjoyed it so much I decided to start from the beginning.
    I also love my bed, that comforting feeling I get when I slip into it each night, it's like the all embracing cuddle from my Nan and a return to my childhood each night as I cuddle into crisp sheets and warm woollen blankets.
    I look forward to following you on your journey and catching up with you.
    Regards
    Kim (SS Aus)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Тhese are in fact enormous ideas іn cοnсerning bloggіng.
    You haνe touched soke pleasant ρoіnts
    here.Any way keep uр ωrinting.

    My weblog; Choice Svetol Green Coffee Gnc

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig